[geeks] RE: [rescue] OT: ADD - MOVING to geeks

Geek geek at geeksworld.net
Wed Jul 10 04:20:37 CDT 2002

From: "Amy" <scoobydoo at ohno.mrbill.net>
Subject: Re: [geeks] RE: [rescue] OT: ADD - MOVING to geeks

> I figure most everyone who speaks up for any given length gets someone
on
> their case eventually. No, you don't get flamed any worse or whatever
> than anyone else and your opinions are your own and not for anyone
else
> to judge. So you might drop that excuse of "I'm dumb cause they say so
in
> flames" cause it's doing no-one any good, especially you.
>
> An example. On a near-daily basis, I get told I'm
> bad/lame/clueless/stupid/foolish for using windows. 4 years ago, I
might
> have broken down and tried my best to become that which I didn't want
to,
> just for the sake of pleasing someone. I'd conform to someone's
definition
> of cool or useful or smart because I figured they were right and I was
> wrong. That was the really stupid thing I was doing.
>
> After 4 years my answer is a bit different and it's something along
the
> lines of "I hate linux, I don't trust any computer named after a fruit
> that only has one mouse button, and what I do on a computer I cannot
do
> on a *nix machine. Leave me alone."
I use Windows too, as well as Linux.
> > The last test of intelligence I took was one that told me I had ADD.
> > That was in Grade 7, more then a decade ago.
>
> And invalid as all hell after a decade as well. If you think you have
> medical condition, see a doctor and have them find some sort of
diagnosis.
> Otherwise, it's pointless speculation.
I do not have the $1,500 to be tested to see if I still fall under the
ADD label. It is not a medical thing unless you are a kid, and even if
they did diagnose me as that and tried to prescribe something, if the
prices are anything like they were when I was first diagnosed($2 a pill)
I wouldn't take medication even if ordered.
> > test, nor any other form of test that qualitatively says I am or am
not
> > smart, intelligent or bright. I don't plan to. I know me, I know my
> > limitations.
>
> How many of these "limitations" did you set for yourself vs. others
> setting for you? If you're like most people, you're limited by
self-doubt
> and a lack of drive or motivation to succeed in whatever venture you
set
> forth.
Self doubt, yes. Many limitations, though, are those I am informed of by
others. There are some non ADD limitations I have, which I will not get
into, and that prevents me from the top 5 jobs I am advised to take,
which all include very heavy lifting and factory work.
> > Interesting theory, but I have yet to see it proven. I mean I guess
it
> > depends on the most people to which you refer. If you took a
sampling of
> > this list, then no. If you took a sampling of Windows users, then
yeah,
> > no doubt about it. Perspective is everything in that, I think.
>
> See? Another Windows-user crack. It's everywhere.
They happen so often because of the user base Windows has. It aims for
the morons, idiots and all around techno-phobes. You are clearly in the
minority when it comes to Windows users.
> > I try not to, but it has grown to become a habit, one I wish it were
as
> > easy to break, as it is to diagnose.
>
> It is easy to break. All you have to do is stop doing it.

Like I said, easier said than done. That is like telling a crack addict
to stop, or a smoker to just quit. Habits are hard to break, that is why
they are habits. I am trying to break my habits, the many of them I
have, but they are long held habits and not easy to be rid of.

Dwight Wallbridge,

Geek's World http://www.geeksworld.net
Geek Blog http://www.geekblog.net/