[geeks] RE: [rescue] OT: ADD - MOVING to geeks

Amy scoobydoo at ohno.mrbill.net
Wed Jul 10 01:57:55 CDT 2002

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Geek wrote:
> Have you not been reading this list? Or are most of the flames I get in
> private? I do get flamed, but not as much as I used to. I learnt early
> on in my net life that it is wise to watch and learn, before making an
> ass out of ones self. That's why I watched this list for nearly  a month
> before a friend I recommended outed me. I don't see posting here as a
> necessary sign of intelligence.

I figure most everyone who speaks up for any given length gets someone on
their case eventually. No, you don't get flamed any worse or whatever
than anyone else and your opinions are your own and not for anyone else
to judge. So you might drop that excuse of "I'm dumb cause they say so in
flames" cause it's doing no-one any good, especially you.

An example. On a near-daily basis, I get told I'm
bad/lame/clueless/stupid/foolish for using windows. 4 years ago, I might
have broken down and tried my best to become that which I didn't want to,
just for the sake of pleasing someone. I'd conform to someone's definition
of cool or useful or smart because I figured they were right and I was
wrong. That was the really stupid thing I was doing.

After 4 years my answer is a bit different and it's something along the
lines of "I hate linux, I don't trust any computer named after a fruit
that only has one mouse button, and what I do on a computer I cannot do
on a *nix machine. Leave me alone."

> The last test of intelligence I took was one that told me I had ADD.
> That was in Grade 7, more then a decade ago.

And invalid as all hell after a decade as well. If you think you have a
medical condition, see a doctor and have them find some sort of diagnosis.
Otherwise, it's pointless speculation.

> test, nor any other form of test that qualitatively says I am or am not
> smart, intelligent or bright. I don't plan to. I know me, I know my
> limitations.

How many of these "limitations" did you set for yourself vs. others
setting for you? If you're like most people, you're limited by self-doubt
and a lack of drive or motivation to succeed in whatever venture you set
forth.

> Interesting theory, but I have yet to see it proven. I mean I guess it
> depends on the most people to which you refer. If you took a sampling of
> this list, then no. If you took a sampling of Windows users, then yeah,
> no doubt about it. Perspective is everything in that, I think.

See? Another Windows-user crack. It's everywhere.

> I try not to, but it has grown to become a habit, one I wish it were as
> easy to break, as it is to diagnose.

It is easy to break. All you have to do is stop doing it.

--a