[geeks] digicam envy

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Jul 9 21:26:17 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 05:12:04PM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> What brand/model is your camera - so I know what to avoid.  My current camera

Kodak DC215

> > Speaking of writing out, a new DV camera, the Canon XL1S allows you to
> > hook firewire harddrives directly to it, then it will record to them
> > instead of the DV tapes.
> >

> That is way cool!  Dang, but ain't that awesome.  I wonder how much video a
> 80GB drive could hold.  I also wonder when we'll see Irix support firewire
> drives...

Off the top of my head, DV is 5 MB/S.  So, 20 seconds is 100 megs. 100
seconds is 500megs.  200 seconds is 1 gig.  So 16,000 seconds.  Which
is 266 minutes, which is about 4.5 hours.

Irix kinda supports firewire drives.  Specifically, firewire drives
are either IDE or scsi inside the case.  Scsi drives can be removed
and connected directly to the Irix machine.  IDE drives need a scsi to
IDE adapter.  Oh, and I'm sure either FAT32, NTFS, or UFS support
would be needed.

--
Joshua D. Boyd