[geeks] digicam envy

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Tue Jul 9 16:12:04 CDT 2002

Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> Too bad that little thing can't write it's pictures out to a USB
> keychain.  But, small ram doesn't bother me too much.  Neither does no
> flash (I hate flash).  I don't know about no zoom though...  The
> pictures need to be sharp though, which my camera (with CF slot,
> optical zoom, and flash) never manages to do.

What brand/model is your camera - so I know what to avoid.  My current camera
is a Panasonic KXL-600A.  I wouldn't suggest this POS to anyone.  640x480 max
resolution, no flash, craptacular color, horrid speed, nasty artifacts in
bright light, toggle-switch focus (yep - near, mid, far) that never works
right, poor formfactor.  It does, however, use CF - so I can use the CF card
for other stuff when I need to.

> Speaking of writing out, a new DV camera, the Canon XL1S allows you to
> hook firewire harddrives directly to it, then it will record to them
> instead of the DV tapes.

That is way cool!  Dang, but ain't that awesome.  I wonder how much video a
80GB drive could hold.  I also wonder when we'll see Irix support firewire
drives...

--
Kurt                   "What me look like, ricecake monster?
kurt at k-huhn.com         Me Cookie Monster!  Me need COOKIE!" --Cookie Monster