[geeks] RE: [rescue] OT: ADD - MOVING to geeks

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Mon Jul 8 15:12:32 CDT 2002

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Fogg, James wrote:
> This is the normal operating mode for an ADD'er. We are mono-focused
> at best, or completely unfocused and all over the map at any moment.
> I'll inject comment into a conversation that leads earthlings to think
> I either just walked into the conversation or I am
> retarded/uninterested. It happens because I rapidly (instantly really)
> follow a splinter of the conversation out to its logical conclusion in
> my mind and that will fire some new line of thought. I find bright
> people can keep up with my lack of seguay and suddent leaps of logic.
> Otherwise when dealing with conversations with earthlings I find
> myself quickly tiring as I must constantly track the conversation and
> be carefull not to disrupt anybody's line of thought.

Ah! I go off on tangents like that too! Spend five minutes catching people
up on a wicked lightning strike of a thought process to show them where
you are and what that had to do with the conversation.

> Another hallmark of the ADD'er is a lack of short-term memory for anything
> uninteresting to them.

That can be useful too, especially when you work as a systems
administrator and need to delete $mail from $mailbox because $user can't
get thier email. Commit nothing to memory....

Yet I have a photographic memory. $ORK[-1] almost tried to use that
against me. Had they have accused me of intellectual property theft, I
would have been livid. I mean, come on... It's structured programming --
all I have to do is look for the curly brackets in the right place or look
for a function name to get the MySQL password... and when you work as a
sysadmin, you learn to have a selective memory -- remember your scripts,
but not your customer's email. Because reading other people's email is a
bad thing. They get offended.