[geeks] RE: [rescue] OT: ADD - MOVING to geeks

Mike Hebel nimitz at owc.net
Mon Jul 8 14:59:42 CDT 2002

> ~ Prolly. I consider myself under this category. The worst part
> ~ is when I
> ~ try to go to bed, my brain downshifts and goes random on
> ~ me... I'll think
> ~ of a bazillion things that if I don't write down will
> ~ probably be lost for
> ~ a week or forever.

Wow.  Done this for as long as I can remember.

> This is the normal operating mode for an ADD'er. We are mono-focused at
> best, or completely unfocused and all over the map at any moment. I'll
> inject comment into a conversation that leads earthlings to think I either
> just walked into the conversation or I am retarded/uninterested. It happens
> because I rapidly (instantly really) follow a splinter of the conversation
> out to its logical conclusion in my mind and that will fire some new line of
> thought. I find bright people can keep up with my lack of seguay and suddent
> leaps of logic. Otherwise when dealing with conversations with earthlings I
> find myself quickly tiring as I must constantly track the conversation and
> be carefull not to disrupt anybody's line of thought.

Do this currently.  Annoys the hell out of my wife.

> Another hallmark of the ADD'er is a lack of short-term memory for anything
> uninteresting to them.

Yet again a hit...

Does this include looking at an assembled system and immediatly seeing
it in "exploded" view?  What about seeing something toally different
when looking at a common object from a particular angle?  Solving 2D
mazes without thinking about it?  Lost time?  Being able to separate
composite sounds into their individual pieces?

If I weren't so paranoid of "head shrinkers" I would check into this.
Not that I would accept any perscription drugs for it.  After 33 years
I've finally got the hang of most of my mental processes - I'd be
totally lost if something changed.

Mike Hebel