[geeks] RE: [rescue] OT: ADD - MOVING to geeks

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Mon Jul 8 14:38:20 CDT 2002

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   I wonder if "ADD" really means one just has an overactive brain.  This
> should be a good thing, but since it's different, it's BAAAAAD and
> must be stopped.

Prolly. I consider myself under this category. The worst part is when I
try to go to bed, my brain downshifts and goes random on me... I'll think
of a bazillion things that if I don't write down will probably be lost for
a week or forever.

But I think it's just people who aren't that brilliant missing the
picture. When I look back on my high school experience (94-98) and my work
in the local factory, I realize that the former well prepared me for the
latter. Do what you're told. Don't ask questions on policy. Etc. etc.

I only recently learned that the entire precept our schools operate under
(some mumbo-jumbo about the administrators `In Place of Parents' when at
school) was overturned in 1969! Man, do *I* feel raped. Several of my
former classmates (underclassmen) were aware enough to know that when the
principal says "I'm going to search your bag; give it to me now." to say
"Call the cops. You can pry it from my cold, dead hands." or "Got a
warrant?"

It's pretty sad that you need an education on law just to go to school so
you don't get fucked over. I didn't start getting interested for quite
some time. But you'd be suprised how a guidance consellor would get livid
over a little phrase below my signature proclaiming that I reserve any
rights not specifically granted. His idea was that if I was going to
summer school, I was to submit to thier rule.

Sometimes I wonder if I'd rather be a lawyer; it's got the same draws
(finding loopholes or being told something cannot be done and then proving
them wrong), but I hardly think it's worth it. But the schooling is longer
and much less applicable (say, as opposed to a degree in EE or CS).