[geeks] Tru64 licensing/availability...

Bjorn Ramqvist brt at g.haggve.se
Wed Jul 3 01:30:59 CDT 2002

Eric Dittman wrote:

> No, the only difference between an "a" and "au" is the peripherals
> that were shipped with the system.  Any "a" can be converted very
> easily to an "au".  No dirty tricks required.  Just set the os_type
> variable to VMS or UNIX and the machine will believe it is an "au".
> Use VMS if you are going to run VMS and UNIX if you are going to
> run Tru64, Linux, or *BSD.  The setting will influence which PALcode
> is used, so you want to make sure you use the right one.
> Then, make sure your peripherals are supported by SRM and the
> operating system you are going to use.

I did it by Ctrl+c'ing at the right moment, when the firmware update is
Do you know of any other way to do this more easily?

BTW, a collegue told me that OpenVMS is "unsupported" on either 'a' and
'au' models, is this right? I'm about to replace a guys DEC3000-600 with
this baby, so we "get rid of" that last DEC3000 machine... The thing is
that he runs VMS on it, and probably doesn't want to run things
unsupported.

--
Vnliga hlsningar/Best Regards
Bjrn Ramqvist, Hgglunds Vehicle AB