[geeks] comments welcome

s s at avoidant.org
Thu Feb 28 15:54:52 CST 2002

>Some research suggests continued sleep devprivation *can* have permanent
>side effects. I recall seeing that on the Discovery Health channel.

I participated in an experiment when I was in the army to see how
long we could go without sleep. I went 76 hours. Of course it wasn't
the same as when I'm on-call now. We were in a room with treadmills
and other equipment, and things to do, and were under constant
observation. We filled out reports every six hours or so on how we
were feeling and what our subjective state of mind was.

Very interesting. Another fellow in my squad went 92 hours. He was
literally hallucinating for the last 10 hours or so, but wouldn't go
to sleep. He eventually just fell over, sound asleep.

I can't say there have been any permanent effects that I can tell.

---sambo