[geeks] running off roommates....

Rick Hamell hamellr at heorot.1nova.com
Tue Feb 26 16:58:54 CST 2002

> > I always used to wear a "HELTER SKELTER" t-shirt when I was
> > taking long bus rides. Meant I'd never be crowded while waiting
> > in the station, or have someone sit right next to me on the bus.
> >
> > Very effective.
>
> In college I used to run off undesirable room-mates with opera. Wagner
> preferably. LOUD. Five hours of Gotterdammerung will do, especially if you
> conduct along (I was a music major.)
>
> Maybe it was just the fact that I was a music major that ran them off...

	Heh... I've got a couple of stories for y'all on this topic... :)

	A good friend, practising Wiccan. Begining of the term he was
sitting at a makeshift alter in the dorm room sharpening a knife. New
roommate walks in, he looks up and simply says; "Hi," and the new guy
turns around, never comes back at all.

	2nd friend, large burly long haired guy. Very intimidating type
until you get to know him. His roommate was VERY Christian. He saw it as
his mission in life to convert the my friend. He started subtle, leaveing
tracts and such on his bed and desk. My friend replied by leaving "Change
room" forms, presigned on the Christian guy's bed and desk. He started
holding prayer meetings in their room.
	My friend started continually cleaning his .357 and knife
collection. The prayer meetings got longer and more frequent. They
eventually became Bible discussions, which my friend participated in
heavily, usually desputing everyone else's views. Sometimes to the point
of pretending to become violent a shouthing things about a "Jihad," upon
the infidels.
	A bullet with the Christian guys name appeared on his desk... and
multiplied as the meetings got longer and longer. More and more tracts
started appearing in his possessions. He was continually acosted when
walking across campus with people trying to convert him.
	3/4 through the school year, I was working in food services along
with this same friend. We liberated a case of Lemon Jello to use as a joke
with another friend who had just seen "Naked Lunch" for the first
time. Unluckily lemon jello is not yellow, it's white. So we had no idea
what to do with it... drop it in the fountain was considered but dropped
as we didn't want to actually damage anything.
	By this time the "conversion" process had expanded from my one
friend to all of us.. about 30 people or so, because we all played that
"Evil D&D Game." We were all conspiring to get rid of this guy. Going to
administration yielded little results, their position was that he was
within his rights to "convert" us, even though it was annoying. (Southern
Oregon is a Bible Belt of sorts.)
	Two weeks before the end of the school year, Christian roommate is
getting ready to do his laundry, when my friend hits upon the ideal of
replacing a quantity of his laundry soap with lemon jello. He did, and not
a single one of us saw him again after that.

	Rick