[geeks] Hmmm.. xterm versus Mac OS X Terminal.app

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed Feb 20 13:45:27 CST 2002

[ On Wednesday, February 20, 2002 at 10:39:00 (+0000), David Cantrell wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Hmmm.. food for thought...
>
> Oh, I realise that, but my point is that if Terminal.app takes so long to
> start then there must be something wrong with it.  I offer an xterm as an
> example of something which has approximately equivalent functionality for
> less aggravation.

Just look at the resident page set of a non-paging, running, instance of
each for one....

Note too that there are several very important factors affecting the
start-up speed of applications under Darwin/MacOS-X/Mach-3.0/etc.  You
may need to make sure the pre-load binding optimisations have been done.

Also note that xterm is about the most ancient piece of code in X11.
Even though it's bloated in many ways it still does the basic stuff in
the mos simplistic, low-level, manner possible.

Meanwhile note that your experience with slowness opening terminal
windows under Mac OS X does not seem to mirror that of other people.
Something seems to be different about your install/hardware/whatever.

--
								Greg A. Woods