[geeks] disk advice

Peter Street peter.street at lazerfx.co.uk
Wed Feb 20 12:41:27 CST 2002

On 20th February, 2002 Shawn Wallbridge wrote:

> One year ago we bought a sh*tload of PC's. All the workstations had
IBM
> Deskstar drives, all the render slaves had Maxtors.
>
> Overall we bought about 100 hard drives, evenly split between IBM and
> Maxtor. I have sent back 10 (out of 50) IBM drives and NO Maxtors.
>
> I will not buy IBM drives any more. We just bought another 40 machines
and
> each one of them has a Maxtor drive. We also bought 5-160GB Maxtor
> Firewire
> drives and they are wonderful.
>
> shawn

OK, fair enough.  Just one thing - what kind of heat did the IBM's
produce (I.e. were they the (admittedly very hot) 7,200 RPM versions),
and did the cases have sufficient cooling to handle that?

I've never actually bought a computer with an IBM in, I've always built
the computers myself (I always find it cheaper to do that, and if it's
not, at least you know exactly what you have in the system), and I've
always taken into account if a particular piece of hardware needs
special requirements.

I'd be the first to admit the IBM's run hot, but then so do 1.xGhz
Athlon processors, and I don't hear people complaining that they've
toasted their Athlon with an inferior heatsink/fan combination that much
:D  You have to examine the hardware on its merits, and the merits of
the IBM, in my opinion, are pretty damn good.

Peter Street
Web Developer / Manager
LazerFX Productions
www.lazerfx.co.uk (Under Construction)