[geeks] disk advice

Peter Street peter.street at lazerfx.co.uk
Wed Feb 20 11:24:22 CST 2002

On 20th Feb 2002 Dave Kimmel wrote:
> From what I've read, the main problem with IBM drives is heat.  That
> isn't a big problem in the box that the drive is in.  Its one with a
spot
> for the 3 1/2 floppy moulded into the case, but there's no drive
there, so
> it even has a nice little vent hole.  Still though, when I bought the
> drive it was because of IBM's reputation for reliability, seeing all
the
> stuff about them failing is rather disconcerting.

That might be why I've never had any problems with the IBM's - I always
knew the 7,200 RPM drives ran hot, so I always made sure that there was
plenty of airflow.  On one computer (My previous box) I had no case on
it, and about 3 case fans blowing air about the case.  Kept it nice and
cool.

> However, the box that the other IBM drive is in...  Well, its a winbox
and
> doesn't actually hold any important data, so...

Toasty :)

> -- Dave Kimmel
>    criscokid at v-wave.com
>    ICQ: 5615049