[geeks] disk advice

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Wed Feb 20 10:05:59 CST 2002

On Wednesday, February 20, 2002, at 04:39 , David Cantrell wrote:

> There's a particularly good deal at the moment on Maxtor 80 and 120Gb
> disks,
> but do they suck?  I disremember.

I just swapped out my IBM 45M 75GXP-series for a 5400 RPM Maxtor 80G.
I'm quite happy - it's a bit slower, but I bet it'll last longer. (The
75GXP drives, especially the 30M and 45M, have a really high failure
rate.  REALLY high.)

Overall, I like it.

(Gee, I have something like 107G on my mac.  That's more than we had in
the entire COMPANY when I started at NCGR...)

-Pete