[geeks] disk advice

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Wed Feb 20 06:39:24 CST 2002

I want to buy a few disks which I'll be shoving into firewire boxes and
hanging off a Mac.

There's a particularly good deal at the moment on Maxtor 80 and 120Gb disks,
but do they suck?  I disremember.

And ... I'll be running OS X, does it let me do magic like combine multiple
devices into a single logical volume*, and more importantly, can I go adding
more devices to the logical volume without reformatting them all, and would
all devices have to be identical - ideally, I'll be using devices of
different sizes, whatever's cheap at the time?

* - I'm not interested in RAID, cos I'll be mirroring the data on another
machine.

  This is nice.  Any idea what body-part it is?