[geeks] Hmmm.. food for thought...

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Wed Feb 20 04:39:00 CST 2002

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 04:22:24AM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> Well, if the G3-600 and G4-450 otherwise have the same "feel" then maybe
> they both have the same problem.  Five seconds is a really really really
> long time for anything to take to appear to begin working on OS X (at
> leat on any fast machine like those)!

It's a standard install, on HFS+.  The only non-standard bit other than a
few OS X applications is Fink.  And that shouldn't have any effect on how
Quartz apps start.

> Oh, yes.  Xterm and the terminal program in OS X are light years appart
> internally, as are the underlying graphics subsystems they use.  There's
> almost no common ground to even begin to compare them on other than
> their most generic high-level feature lists!

Oh, I realise that, but my point is that if Terminal.app takes so long to
start then there must be something wrong with it.  I offer an xterm as an
example of something which has approximately equivalent functionality for
less aggravation.

   I hear you asking yourselves "why?".  Hurd will be out in a
   year ...
        -- Linus Torvalds, in <1991Oct5.054106.4647 at klaava.Helsinki.FI>