[geeks] Hmmm.. food for thought...

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed Feb 20 03:22:24 CST 2002

[ On Wednesday, February 20, 2002 at 08:23:47 (+0000), David Cantrell wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Hmmm.. food for thought...
>
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 07:17:35PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > [ On Tuesday, February 19, 2002 at 23:47:06 (+0000), David Cantrell wrote: ]
> > > If it's already running, then yes, another pops open for me straight away.
> > > But if I *quit* it, then start it up, it takes five seconds.  That's
> > > unacceptable for something that damned well should be in memory already.
> > >
> > > That's on a G4-450.
> > I don't know what exactly the new ibook CPU is, but IIRC it's not quite
> > as powerful as a G4-450.  I've seen a terminal window open in less than
> > two seconds on an ibook, right after a cold boot.  Something's very wrong
> > with your install.
>
> I doubt it.  It takes about the same on a G3-600 ibook.  True, I haven't
> done any fiddling to optimise OS X, but I haven't done any fiddling to
> slow it down either.

Well, if the G3-600 and G4-450 otherwise have the same "feel" then maybe
they both have the same problem.  Five seconds is a really really really
long time for anything to take to appear to begin working on OS X (at
leat on any fast machine like those)!

> > > For comparison, my x86 box (P3-600) takes well under a second to launch
> > > an xterm when that is also already in memory, and running X on X, the
> > > G4-450 can start an xterm in about a second.
> > xterm's are entirely different critters....  apples and oranges....
>
> Are they?  It's a terminal.  If one type of terminal can open in a second
> and another type of terminal in five seconds, then there's something very
> wrong with the second type of terminal.

Oh, yes.  Xterm and the terminal program in OS X are light years appart
internally, as are the underlying graphics subsystems they use.  There's
almost no common ground to even begin to compare them on other than
their most generic high-level feature lists!

--
								Greg A. Woods