[geeks] observations and rants.

s at avoidant.org s at avoidant.org
Sun Feb 17 13:26:30 CST 2002

Amy wrote:

> if employers don't accept a solid 'no' with a solid explanation when its
> warranted/asked for, then they're no better than dictators holding your
> paycheck in some blackmail attempt where you'll only say yes.

Precisely. The problem then becomes finding those (extremely few and far
between) places of employment where the bosses don't behave that way.
When you find one, and they're looking to hire... give me a call.
Collect.

Even where the CEO is an ex-geek, the lure of $$$ seems to be enough to
make him forget where he came from and trample the peons to get that
IPO. Except in a few unfortunately rare cases. After all, in his mind
it's his company, working his idea, and making his money. Geeks can be
hired and fired at will to accomplish the goal. Let them have their own
ideas if they want to make their own money.

> i dont consider this sort of thing (giving your employees the right to say
> no) to be a utopian dream, because people are born with the choice between
> screwing others and doing what's right.

And for most, it's an easy choice. Screw, baby, screw.

Or maybe I'm too cynical. Maybe it's not like that. But the evidence
seems to prove me right. Sad.

---sambo