[geeks] observations and rants.

Amy scoobydoo at ohno.mrbill.net
Sun Feb 17 12:54:48 CST 2002

On Sun, 17 Feb 2002 s at avoidant.org wrote:

> Amy wrote:
> > cause they make sure to only hire those that will say 'yes' under
> > pressure.
>
> I have to say, my inability to say "no" at this point is entirely
> pragmatic. I've got a wife and kids, and a mortgage I won't be able to
> afford without a job, even temporarily. Saying "no" as a matter of
> principle is completely out at this point.
>
> I *need* the next paycheck, even if it's not enough.

most people's inability to say 'no' to corporate bullshit these days is
pragmatic--especially right now. what i'm saying is that an employee
should be able to say no to the highest person in x corporation without fear
of retribution--business would be a whole lot more successful and employees
would be hella happier that way. even those few that do say no once every
blue moon have to do it prettily (insert annoying buzzword and polite
chitchat here) for the benefit of face.

if employers don't accept a solid 'no' with a solid explanation when its
warranted/asked for, then they're no better than dictators holding your
paycheck in some blackmail attempt where you'll only say yes.

i dont consider this sort of thing (giving your employees the right to say
no) to be a utopian dream, because people are born with the choice between
screwing others and doing what's right.

--a