[geeks] and another silly netbsd question

jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Sat Feb 16 07:28:56 CST 2002

On 16 Feb, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> The I type python, but it says command not found, even though it is
> in /usr/local/bin.  But, if I do /usr/local/bin/python, it works fine.
sh(1):
     hash -rv command...
            The shell maintains a hash table which remembers the locations of
            commands.
[...]
            The -r option causes the hash command to
            delete all the entries in the hash table except for functions.
The same for ksh(1).

csh(1):
           rehash  Causes the internal hash table of the contents of the di-
                   rectories in the path variable to be recomputed.
--

tschuess,
          Jochen

Homepage: http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz