[geeks] PowerBook

Jeff Borisch jborisch at columbus.rr.com
Tue Feb 12 21:03:02 CST 2002

s at avoidant.org wrote:

> Ethernet directly into my switch. No link. I configured TCP/IP, and
> still no joy. But then I configured it again (all I chjanged was the
> nameserver address, I swear) and it asked if I wanted to save changes.
> Of course, I said. And lo and behold! I've got 'net!

By 'no link' do you mean no link light on the switch, or it just no worky.

> Then I put it to sleep, unplugged the ethernet cable, and left it for an
> hour or so. Came back, plugged in the cable, and no link again. What do
> I need to do to get it to come up?

I ran into a problem I was trying to troubleshoot where I could not get a
connection.  I found TCP/IP could not report any hardware address, I thought
the ethernet chip was toast. I know I should have checked that the cable was
OK,  but it had just worked the day before and it had not been moved or
agitated.

Oddly the MacOS software will not report a MAC address if the link is bad or
simply no cable. I remember reading a technote which stated this. This seems
like a stupid behavior.

I know this is not really a solution but maybe some bit of it will be a
clue.

Sounds like it could be a switch issue. Is it a fancy programmable one?

--jeff