[geeks] ATX cases

Yuri K koroby398 at ifrance.com
Sun Dec 22 22:33:46 CST 2002

Hello Lionel,

Monday, December 23, 2002, 3:02:18 (UTC), you wrote:

LP> Dunno, but I assume the difference *may* be in the spread of voltages &
LP> amperages, the case dimensions & power connecter would most likely have
LP> to be the same as a non-P4 ATX...

   Honest 300W should be more than enough for a dual PIII.
   I agree with Rick on the consumption by periferals. If you put a
   nice SCSI RAID controller or 2 and more than 4 SCSI drives with 16
   MB cache, you may need a better Hot-Point or an Enermax.
   Keep in mind that quite a few decent otherwise models from
   'renowned' makers don't even have output circuit breakers and could
   fry the periferals that are not equipped with their own protection
   circuits in turn.  Any way you cut it, whenever you want even
   remote redundancy in x86 land you might spend nearly as much
   as you would for a new piece from a decent vendour.
   For AMD it is not much total wattage as specific amperage for
   certain voltages, e.g. 5V output with a minumum of 20A continuous
   output that matters, etc. It's all on AMD site.

    Re: Aluminium cases acoustics.
    Some of them resonate to the point that you wouldn't want them.
    And the discovery of the effect usually comes after it's too late.
    But if you jog with the box while walking your dog the benefit of
    reduced weight is definitely a significant factor.

   And don't forget that the best thermoconductor, and thus
   heat-sink material is diamond.

--
Best regards,
 Yuri