Cars in europe and the US, WAS [geeks] What is Microsoft planing with this?

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Tue Dec 17 15:10:53 CST 2002

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:15:03PM -0700, Chris Byrne wrote:
> From: "Joshua D Boyd"
> > If the Jetta is a large family car, what is the Passat or Phaeton?
> The Passat is considered a high end large car, entry luxury car etc...

It is?

> You wouldnt believe what the smallest cars look like. If youve seen the
> commercial for the new cadillac pickup truck, well there are cars on the
> market that can easily fit in a fullsize pickup bed, with room left over.

Hehe.  I assume you're talking about the Smart, or the little Italian
things that inspired it?  I'm tempted by the Smart.  Really really tempted.
I don't need to drive much at all, and it'll be more than sufficient for
my needs.  Plus it just looks so cute, it looks at me from the showroom
like a little puppy yapping piteously "buy me, buy me".

> > Also, how many europeans are over 6 foot?  I got the impression that I'd
> > be considered a giant in much of europe.
> Well in Ireland I was generally the tallest person around at 6'2" but in
> scandanavia I would only be average. The norwegians are the tallest white
> people in the world (several african tribes average great heights) with
> average male heights over six feet. Most of europe has an average male
> height of 5'8-9", the US average is 5'10", japan is 5'7" etc...

I have no idea what the average is here.  I remember it used to be said to
be 5'10" and I was very proud when I beat that.  However, at 6'3" I don't
stand out at all, and I'm often not the tallest person present.

> The best cars in europe for tall and/or wide people are mercedes, BMW, saab,
> and volvo. The worst are probably Alfa Romeo and Jaguar.

Please sir, can I have a Bentley?

--
David Cantrell | Benevolent Dictator | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

  World War 2: the best sequel ever