[geeks] What is Microsoft planing with this?

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Sun Dec 15 13:43:00 CST 2002

On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 04:58:49PM -0500, Dan Sikorski wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-12-14 at 05:40, David Cantrell wrote:
[snip]
> > >         But weather i have a reason or not to drive it, why the hell
> > > does it matter to everyone else?  Yes, it's big, i bought a big vehicle
> > > because i'm a damn tall person, and many cars, while i can drive them
> > > (drove the saturn for a while) are uncomfortable.
> >
> > But there's also many smaller cars which you could drive comfortably.
>
> Show me.

Well, the new VW beetle is supposed to be extremely good for, uh,
"Daniel Pinkwater" sized people.  Almost any car with power seats can
be adjusted for folks with long torsos.

> > And what has that to do with anything?  Yes, bad drivers die.  A bad
> > driver in the latest SUV-of-the-week would be just as screwed if they
> > pulled out in front of an artic.  Here's a free clue.  Small cars can
> > be safe.
>
> And larger cars can be even safer

-Only- for the people driving the larger cars.  If more people drove
reasonably sized cars, the people driving them would be hugely safer.
In yuppie neighborhoods, it's almost unsafe to drive a car because of
all the people driving Urban Assault Vehicles.  You can't see around
them, they're all talking on the phone (which should be considered a
criminal offense on par with drunken driving) and not paying attention
to where they're going.  I really hate having to drive with big SUVs
on the roads.

> > I really wish people who make the selfish decision to drive outrageously
> > large private vehicles would be honest about their reasons for doing so,
> > and the effect they have on everyone else.
>
> Ok then, is the person who runs a large computer in their home selfish
> because they consume more electricity, and in effect cause the burning
> of more fossil fuels?

Clearly it is so.
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.
Please don't copy me on replies to the list.