[geeks] What is Microsoft planing with this?

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Sat Dec 14 04:40:22 CST 2002

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 08:39:12PM -0500, Dan Sikorski wrote:
> Ya know, why is it that so many people have such a problem with this?  I
> drive a SUV.  I do a a semi-decent reason for having it, but even if i
> don't, what the hell does it matter to you?

It matters because you cause more pollution than if you drove a smaller
car.  That matters because I have to breathe the filth you pump out.  I
probably wouldn't mind so much if you paid anything like the social cost
of your profligate fuel use, but you don't.  Even in countries where fuel
tax is more sensible, most drivers of large cars are still subsidised by
the rest of society, although to a smaller degree.

> deliver a HP laserjet 9000 with 2k sheet feeder in a saturn, it doesn't
> work.)

Uh-huh.  You do that every day do you?  Do you not, perhaps, think it
might be more cost-effective to have a smaller car, and on the rare
occasions you need to ship something too big to put in it, hire a
trailer, or <horror> use a delivery service?

>         But weather i have a reason or not to drive it, why the hell
> does it matter to everyone else?  Yes, it's big, i bought a big vehicle
> because i'm a damn tall person, and many cars, while i can drive them
> (drove the saturn for a while) are uncomfortable.

But there's also many smaller cars which you could drive comfortably.

>                                                    In my jeep i'm
> comfortable.  Yes, it's 4wd, and at over 90% of my mileage is on-road,
> but ya know, it's nice having it so that i'm less likely to get stuck in
> a snow storm.  Yes, it doesn't get 80mpg or whatever the honda insight
> does, but i knew this when i bought it, and i accepted the fact from the
> beginning that i would pay more for gas.

"I'm alright jack, screw the rest of you".

>                                 If you don't like the fact that if your
> civic got in an accident with an escalade that you might not survive,
> then think of that next time you pull out in front of an 18 wheeler on
> the highway, and stop whining.

And what has that to do with anything?  Yes, bad drivers die.  A bad
driver in the latest SUV-of-the-week would be just as screwed if they
pulled out in front of an artic.  Here's a free clue.  Small cars can
be safe.

> </rant>

</rant>

I really wish people who make the selfish decision to drive outrageously
large private vehicles would be honest about their reasons for doing so,
and the effect they have on everyone else.

--
David Cantrell | Benevolent Dictator | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

      Blessed are the pessimists, for they test their backups
                                            -- anon