[geeks] tablets for SGI

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Dec 13 23:46:43 CST 2002

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 10:52:16PM -0600, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> On Thursday, December 12, 2002, at 04:13 PM, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> >I've heard several times from several places to make wacoms work
> >without
> >paying large amounts of cash.  One that I found quickly was:
> >http://groups.google.com/groups?q=wacom+SGI&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-
> >8&selm=3CD44984.4090508%40netscape.net&rnum=2
> >

> Bleah - the link to the drivers in the link above leads to a 404 :(

No, the link in that post pointed to more expanded instructions.  The
drivers are apparently on the Wacom FTP site.

> >You need a PC wacom tablet of the serial variety.  I haven't heard
> >anything to suggest that there was any sort of USB support yet.
> >

> A little more digging, and it seems that BH Photo Video has the
> SGI/Sun/serial retail packages for the same prices as the
> Windows/Mac/USB packages (Intuos2 4x5 is US$189, and 6x8 is US$339)
> Which isn't a bad price, if it has the SGI drivers.  Wacom's website
> leads one to believe that you need a kit of some kind to make the
> tablet work on an SGI.  When I'm ready to buy one I'll give BH Photo
> Video a call and grill the sales rep for info.

Sounds like a good deal.

BTW, there is more than one set of SGI drivers.  In addition to possibly
two sets of Wacom drivers, I've heard rumors of SGI written drivers
hidden somewhere, and I've seen references to home brewed drivers many
times.

But if the above guy includes drivers, why not?

--
Joshua D. Boyd