[geeks] ooh

jodys at helluin.org jodys at helluin.org
Fri Dec 13 02:09:00 CST 2002

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 06:35:47PM -0500, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> Does anyone know what the quality of the HP712s onboard audio is?  I
> know it is 16bit 44.1khz stereo, but what about S/N and all those things?

Can't give you anything technical, but I have a 712/100 serving as
a mp3 player. Other than the fact that the current debian install
doesn't seem to have any control over the mixer it works very well,
nice low profile case, and quiet too. I haven't noticed any difference
in the quality of sound in comparison to the original CD, or the
sound output of my Indy.

But then again maybe my stereo system is not far enough into to
the stratosphere of audiophile equipment to notice. If anyone cares
the system I've been listening on is
Adcom GFA-535 Power Amp
Cabled with Audioquest interconnects
Adcom GTP-500 Pre Amp
CD player (currently my orig. playstation)
Energy Pro Series 2.5 (Speakers) cabled with Proflex cable
Most of my mp3's are sampled at 192kbps at least, some more.

Jody