[geeks] Cable Internet suggestions...?

nimitz at speakeasy.net nimitz at speakeasy.net
Thu Dec 5 09:33:13 CST 2002

On 05 Dec 2002, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> Andrew Weiss <ajwdsp at cloud9.net> wrote:
>

> > Any suggestions or experience with this
> > vendor?
> >

> I've used a number of cable internet companies
> over the years. All of them had some form of
> authentication to go through before allowing
> you to recieve an IP or make a connection.

*ahem* Speakeasy.net doesn't do that. ;-)  I got a simple bridge from them and plugged an IPX running OpenBSD into it to do my NAT and routing.  With the exception of some small billing issues I'm quite happy with them.  (2 IPs and two E-mail addreses too!)  They really don't care what you run as long as you're not hogging their bandwidth.

</speakeasy pimp mode>

All-in-all you should have a dedicated box of some sort for your router/NAT/firewall.  I suggest one of the older Sparc boxes, a second SBUS ethernet of some sort - I use the cheap 10mb/s ones since I don't really need the 100mb/s speed, and a good local switch.  From there it's just a matter of setting up all your internal servers and away you go!

Mie Hebel