[geeks] (Almost nothing to do with )Carley Fiorina

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 3 07:53:35 CST 2002

--- "Greg A. Woods" <woods at weird.com> wrote:
> [ On Monday, December 2, 2002 at 20:27:43 (-0800), Lionel Peterson
> wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: [geeks] (Almost nothing to do with )Carley Fiorina

> > > I suppose it depends on how you define each term.  If a bond buys
> > > stock in a company then what is it?  (yes I'm purposefully
> > > fuzzying up the terms here -- I don't want to discuss these
> > > issues within the confines of the current terms of reference
> > > used by the financial community :-)
> >
> > A bond is a financial instrument that allows an individual to
> > assume some risk with an investment, and to be rewarded for that
> > risk with a "guaranteed" rate of return.
>
> Now there you go again.  Didn't I just say I'm purposefully making
> the terms fuzzy here because I don't want to discus these issuess
> within the very narrow (minded) confines of the current definitions
> used by the financial community?

Greg - you asked me how I define "bond", or at least based your
reaction to my statement on how *I* defined each term... I tried to
give you my definition for one term, and you jumped up and down about
it... Please believe I was not trying to provoke or upset you - I was
attempting to discuss an idea with you.

You can "view" or "discuss" financial instruments anyway you like, but
there is, ultimately, one true definition of each, and what the
investment community as a whole chooses to do with them must be
considered along with them, since you can not buy stocks, bonds, or
anything else without considering what "the market" will do.

Stocks represent a share in a company, bonds represent an obligation
without any ownership.

It is obvious that you choose to view these matters differently than I,
or even the majority of the investment community does, and that's fine
- if you want to discuss this further, I'd be happy to continue the
conversation off-list.

Thanks,

=====
Lionel