[geeks] (Almost nothing to do with )Carley Fiorina

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 2 22:27:43 CST 2002

--- "Greg A. Woods" <woods at weird.com> wrote:
> > You really seem to be talking about bonds, not stocks...
>
> I suppose it depends on how you define each term.  If a bond buys
> stock in a company then what is it?  (yes I'm purposefully fuzzying
> up the terms here -- I don't want to discuss these issues within the
> confines of the current terms of reference used by the financial
> community :-)

A bond is a financial instrument that allows an individual to assume
some risk with an investment, and to be rewarded for that risk with a
"guaranteed" rate of return. For example, let's say I make cars, adn I
need to open anew plant to manufacture hubcaps for my cars. This
factory will cost, say, $100 Million dollars (it is a big plant!). Now,
I could withdraw the money from the bank (if I have it), I could get a
bank to assemble a consortium of banks to loan me the money at, say 9%
(made up number), or I could sell bonds, offering to pay 6.5% - in
effect become my own bank.

IMHO, bonds are a fine investment, and an important part of your
balanced portfolio. Some bonds are backed by the fullfaith of the US
government - the same folks that print the greenbacks - if they go
under, greenbacks are worthless, so they are a safe bet...

=====
Lionel

http://mailplus.yahoo.com