[geeks] Carley Fiorina

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Sun Dec 1 19:58:57 CST 2002

[ On Sunday, December 1, 2002 at 16:35:13 (-0800), Lionel Peterson wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Carley Fiorina
>
> Joshua, please remember to consider her prime responsibility to the
> company & it's shareholders - maximize value, as measured in share
> price/market cap. I own shares in several companies, and I expect the
> leaders of the companies I own stock in to maximize value...

That's _ALL_ you expect of your investments!?!?!?

If all you want is to make more money with your money then the best way
to do that is to lend it out like a bank does (and if you want to do it
safely then you'll probably want to put it in a big enough pool with
other people's money so that the odd bad borrower doesn't sink your
ship).

However if you want your money to do some good, not _just_ make more
money, then you should invest it ethically.

Beyond that I wish investors who choose the stock market to pour their
money into would get the stock value out of their minds, especially the
daily prices, (and just be damn happy if it stays level so that they
don't lose their original stake), and instead focus more on dividends.

All this stock trading for the sake of trading stock is B.S. with a
capital 'B' and a capital 'S'.  It should be outlawed.  It causes
nothing but grief and suffering in the long run (even the traders
themselves, who you'd think would be in the best position, just like a
banker, usually get too greedy and fall big-time too) -- and they say
we're due for yet another crash any time soon too.

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>