[geeks] Carley Fiorina

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 1 18:35:13 CST 2002

--- Joshua D Boyd <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu> wrote:
> Alright.  A lot of people here don't seem to like her.
>
> Can anyone make a specific (preferably refering to one or more
> citable sources) arguement for why she sucks, other than because
> she canceled the toy we like?
>
> I'm supposed to use her as an example in a paper on defining and
> illustrating leadership, and while I don't like what she's been
> threatening to do to cool machines, I'm having a hard time backing up
> why it is bad leadership.

Joshua, please remember to consider her prime responsibility to the
company & it's shareholders - maximize value, as measured in share
price/market cap. I own shares in several companies, and I expect the
leaders of the companies I own stock in to maximize value...

I would focus on situations where she misled employees/shareholders
about the value they would see (again, reflected in their portfolios,
not neccessarily their paycheck) as a result of this or that
acquisition. An interesting way to write the paper would be to focus on
shareholder value for each involved company for the 12 mos. prior to
the acquisition to today, and was she able to deliver on her
promises...

HTH,

=====
Lionel