[geeks] RE: [rescue] miss me?

David Passmore dpassmor at sneakers.org
Mon Aug 26 23:40:06 CDT 2002

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 12:11:47AM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> Someone was telling me that all he needed on his cabriolet (VW) was a
> front anti-sway bar.  Was he doing something stupid?  It's not like this
> was some kid.  It was a mid 40 something programmer I worked with once.

An oversized front swaybar helps, yes, but you also need higher front spring
rates. Anti-sway bars are designed to correct for oversteer and understeer.
He's basically just stiffening the front-end suspension. I imagine it must
be a bitch to drive on the road. The ideal solution is to install a
'bump-steer kit', which is basically just a spacer to lower the outer
tie-rods. Offset steering rack bushings accomplish a similar thing by raising
the steering rack (ie, you either raise on one side, or lower on the other).

David