[geeks] Serial ATA

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Aug 16 11:26:48 CDT 2002

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 12:14:45PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> You get what you pay for.  The point is your assumptions and predjudices
> against "IDE" drives are not as well founded as you try to make them out
> to be.  Real "IDE", and even plain old "EIDE" drives and interfaces are
> rather sucky.  There are many technical issues with even Ultra ATA/100
> drives too, but speed and quality do not necessarily appear on the list.
> You can buy shitty little dinky SCSI drives too if you don't want to
> spend the money for good ones.
>
> Now that decent multi-channel Ultra ATA/100 controllers are cheap
> enough, and now that most every server that needs lots of disk
> throughput has lots of wasted CPU power, it'll be very interesting to
> see what happens when 15,000 RPM ATA drives appear.

I just would like to take a quick moment to say that I paid less for
92gigs of SCSI harddrive space than the going price on 60gig UltraATA
drives.

What do you consider a decent UltraATA controller?  Lots of people call
the promise controllers decent, but I'm highly unimpressed.  3ware on
the other hand... If they would get wider OS support, or come out with a
SCSI model instead of using PCI...

--
Joshua D. Boyd