[geeks] Serial ATA

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Fri Aug 16 11:14:45 CDT 2002

[ On Friday, August 16, 2002 at 11:54:23 (-0400), Joshua D Boyd wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Serial ATA
>
> That may be.  But my IDE drives have tended to be those boxed Maxtor
> retail drives, while my scsi drives have been more along the line of HH
> barricudas of various sorts.

You get what you pay for.  The point is your assumptions and predjudices
against "IDE" drives are not as well founded as you try to make them out
to be.  Real "IDE", and even plain old "EIDE" drives and interfaces are
rather sucky.  There are many technical issues with even Ultra ATA/100
drives too, but speed and quality do not necessarily appear on the list.
You can buy shitty little dinky SCSI drives too if you don't want to
spend the money for good ones.

Now that decent multi-channel Ultra ATA/100 controllers are cheap
enough, and now that most every server that needs lots of disk
throughput has lots of wasted CPU power, it'll be very interesting to
see what happens when 15,000 RPM ATA drives appear.

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>