[geeks] Parsing to memory

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Aug 15 17:18:07 CDT 2002

On Thursday, August 15, 2002, at 05:22 PM, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> Does any one know any good texts on parsing things?  I guess this is one
> of those things should be tought in college, but they didn't say enough
> about the topic other than that state machines regular expressions and
> grammers are used.
>
> I was thinking of buying a lex book, but then decided I'd rather know
> how to really do it for myself first before leaning on lex.
>
> Of course, I've written various super simple parsers for various tasks,
> but I never was able to get my Wavefront parser finished (it would parse
> one type of wavefront file.  And it was easy to make it do a different
> type of file, and so on, but to have one parser for all wavefront files
> eluded me).  I've been playing with writing a lisp/scheme parser.

   I have an interesting book on that topic: "Constructing Language
Processors for Little Languages" by Randy Kaplan.  It's much, much easier
to use Lex & YACC, though.  They're extremely powerful, and easy to use
once you get the basic concepts down.  For that, the O'Reilly book "Lex &
YACC" is good.

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                     "I haven't worn pants in 14 months!"
St. Petersburg, FL                                   -Pete Wargo