[geeks] Juggling, a vital sys admin skill?

Caleb Shay caleb at webninja.com
Tue Aug 13 14:41:32 CDT 2002

David Passmore wrote:

>On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 01:12:24PM -0400, Michael A. Turner wrote:
>

>>	I was looking around for a new skill to learn to occupy my hands
>>while my mind was busy and thought of juggling. A large percentage of sys
>>admins I know do juggle, or at least keep the materials at hand in their
>>office. Is juggling a vital skill for sys admins or something that logically
>>thinking people are predisposed to? Do any of you juggle?
>>

>I do. Very well, I would like to think. Chicks dig it.

Amen to that :).  My wife just found out recently that I know how to
juggle and was thrilled...I'm not sure why though.

Juggling is a great way to clear your mind when you are trying to do too
many things at once.  I taught a buddhist friend of mine to juggle and
after she got good at it she told me that it created the same state of
mind as meditation does for her.  You get into a kind of automatic mode
where your mind is focused on this one thing but it has become so
automatic that you really aren't thinking of anything at all.  Very
relaxing.  I also have 3 1lb weighted balls that I use as an upper body
exercise routine.  Good for the biceps, triceps, forearms, wrists, and
chest.  It doesn't sound like much (wow, you can lift a one pound weight
in each hand?  :P ), but it really is a very good workout.

Cheers,

Caleb