[geeks] MX record and dig

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Aug 12 16:30:45 CDT 2002

[ On Monday, August 12, 2002 at 16:59:46 (-0400), Joshua D Boyd wrote: ]
> Subject: [geeks] MX record and dig
>
> If I do a dig cs.millersville.edu, and in the output it doesn't talk
> about an MX record anywhere, does that mean that there is no MX record
> for cs.millersville.edu?  I just want to get my facts straight before I
> complain.  Greg Woods always bounces my emails over my not having an MX
> record.

You don't.  The millersville.edu zone has a lame delegation too.

17:28 [14] $ host -C millersville.edu
millersville.edu        NS      ns1.voicenet.com
corsair.millersville.edu        root.marauder.millersville.edu  (552
3600 600 3600000 86400)
 *** millersville.edu SOA record at ns1.voicenet.com is not
authoritative
millersville.edu has lame delegation to ns1.voicenet.com
 !!! millersville.edu SOA primary corsair.millersville.edu is not
advertised via NS
millersville.edu        NS      oberon.millersville.edu
Nameserver oberon.millersville.edu not responding
millersville.edu SOA record not found at oberon.millersville.edu, try
again
millersville.edu        NS      virga.millersville.edu
corsair.millersville.edu        root.marauder.millersville.edu  (552
3600 600 3600000 86400)
millersville.edu        NS      aurora.millersville.edu
corsair.millersville.edu        root.marauder.millersville.edu  (552
3600 600 3600000 86400)
ksh: exit code: 69
17:28 [15] $ host -t mx millersville.edu
millersville.edu        MX      10 mail1.millersville.edu
17:28 [16] $ host -C cs.millersville.edu
No nameservers for cs.millersville.edu found
ksh: exit code: 69
17:28 [17] $ host -a cs.millersville.edu virga.millersville.edu
cs.millersville.edu     A       166.66.64.14

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>