[geeks] MX record and dig

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Aug 12 16:13:05 CDT 2002

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> If I do a dig cs.millersville.edu, and in the output it doesn't talk
> about an MX record anywhere, does that mean that there is no MX record
> for cs.millersville.edu?

  [jp at celestrion:/usr/people/jp]$ nslookup
  > set type=MX
  > lserver corsair.millersville.edu
  Default Server:  corsair.millersville.edu
  Address:  192.206.29.2

  > cs.millersville.edu
  Server:  corsair.millersville.edu
  Address:  192.206.29.2

  millersville.edu
          origin = corsair.millersville.edu
          mail addr = root.marauder.millersville.edu
          serial = 552
          refresh = 3600 (1 hour)
          retry   = 600 (10 mins)
          expire  = 3600000 (41 days 16 hours)
          minimum ttl = 86400 (1 day)

There is no registered MX for cs.millersville.edu, at least, according to
their name server.

> I just want to get my facts straight before I complain.

Always a good idea.

> Greg Woods always bounces my emails over my not having an MX record.

Probably not just Greg.  I believe my server is set up to do the same, as
it really cuts down on the spam, and it really is an error to not have an
MX for every email domain.

--
Jonathan Patschke
   > Can you SysAdmins tell me what might go on in a typical day?
   Hours of endless frustration punctuated by moments of sheer terror.
                                 --Saul Tannenbaum (in the Monastery)