[geeks] Alternative Employment

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Aug 12 11:20:37 CDT 2002

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 09:15:13AM -0700, Fogg, James wrote:

> So, build Mrs. Foggs Country Cabin (we are researching this now). Build a
> 2-room log cabin on our pasture (which has frontage on a major -but not
> busy- route). Stock it with our arts/crafts/foods, represent some other
> local artists (there's a guy down the road that does awsome wood lampshades
> and a potter is moving in on our lane) and import some things. The
> country/moose/bird/lake/loon/wildlife/cabin thing is huge around here. The
> building would be invisable from the house, yet 400 feet away. A cabin on a
> slab it cheap (might do a cellar for storage). There are tons of tourists
> through here because of New London being 5 miles away, and my town has its
> own tourist traffic. There are lots of people who are buying expensive lake
> property and cabins here and need stuff to decorate with.
>
> We both need something to retire with. I won't be able to work forever yet I
> need a paycheck until I'm 70 (fscking mortgage) and the wife wants to work
> from home/for herself. I can't stand the daily worry that comes with having
> to keep a job with a sizable paycheck coming in to support the lifestyle.
> Not that you don't worry working for yourself, but at least I decide when to
> fire me.

Don't forget to sell online, but as we all learned with the .com bust,
do it in a sustainable way that won't cause problems if it isn't a smash
hit.  I wonder if the tourists your way are better than the tourists
here.  The idea of running a shop catering to tourists (which to
excessively stereo type would be older blue collar new Yorkers) makes me
sick.  I intensely dislike the tourists that plague the south eastern
part of my county.  The ones who venture to the other areas don't seem
as bad.

--
Joshua D. Boyd