[geeks] Alternative Employment

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 12 11:15:13 CDT 2002

~ Anyway, what are other jobs that people would be interested in taking,
~ or starting businesses to do?
~
~ --
~ Joshua D. Boyd

I've thought of the construction trades. I did that for awhile in FLA, I
started/owned the company. I don't have the physical endourance for that
kind of work anymore.

I've considered wood carving or some other artistic outlet, but that won't
pay what I make now.

The best idea I've had is in combination with the wife. She does many kinds
of artwork, mostly in a country theme. She also cans some awsome stuff
(sweet&sour pepper relish is my favorite). We are both heavy into the
country cabin theme (someday I'll post pics of the house).

So, build Mrs. Foggs Country Cabin (we are researching this now). Build a
2-room log cabin on our pasture (which has frontage on a major -but not
busy- route). Stock it with our arts/crafts/foods, represent some other
local artists (there's a guy down the road that does awsome wood lampshades
and a potter is moving in on our lane) and import some things. The
country/moose/bird/lake/loon/wildlife/cabin thing is huge around here. The
building would be invisable from the house, yet 400 feet away. A cabin on a
slab it cheap (might do a cellar for storage). There are tons of tourists
through here because of New London being 5 miles away, and my town has its
own tourist traffic. There are lots of people who are buying expensive lake
property and cabins here and need stuff to decorate with.

We both need something to retire with. I won't be able to work forever yet I
need a paycheck until I'm 70 (fscking mortgage) and the wife wants to work
from home/for herself. I can't stand the daily worry that comes with having
to keep a job with a sizable paycheck coming in to support the lifestyle.
Not that you don't worry working for yourself, but at least I decide when to
fire me.