[geeks] How can people put up with this....

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Aug 8 04:13:30 CDT 2002

On August 8, William S. wrote:
> I hope this doesn't sound too dopey when I ask this, but
> I normally have used "scp" to transfer files. I know
> how to ftp as well but was curious what the operational
> differences are between the two or possible restrictions.
> SCP to me means more security on both ends: client and server.

  Well, more security except for the "ssh hole of the week", that is.

  Scp is the ssh replacement for "rcp", part of the "berkeley
R-commands"...rcp, rsh, rlogin, etc.  Ftp does a whole lot more than
rcp or scp...file type translations, transfer restarting (the "reget"
command), etc...but is a slightly "heavier" protocol.  Many of its
features aren't really needed these days, but it's still the best way
to move files between different operating systems that may use
different line ending conventions, etc.  In many cases ftp can take
care of stuff like this for you on the fly.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                     "I haven't worn pants in 14 months!"
St. Petersburg, FL                                   -Pete Wargo