[geeks] ISDN questions

Michael Schiller schiller at agrijag.com
Mon Aug 5 22:54:26 CDT 2002

"Fogg, James" wrote:

> There are also TA's that allow full use of the D channel and you then have
> access (9600 baud) to the X.25 network and frame networks. This allows some
> cutesy possibilities. I used to go D to D between my house and an employer.
> The cute part is there is no time charge (packet charges may apply if both
> ends are on different carriers).

A long time ago BellSouth.net was going to offer 24/7 ISDN connections
using the D channel as the 'always on' channel, and then using BOD
expand the line up to 1 or 2 B channels as needed. But before they could
put this into operation DSL came along, so this idea was shelved in
favor of DSL. Back when I got my first ISDN line in FL it was still
thought of as a high speed connection, many website would have 2 links,
one for low speed (analog dialup) or high speed (ISDN or better),
whereas today the low speed is analog dialup or ISDN, and the high speed
is DSL/cable/TI, etc. Oh Well.

ISDN pricing varies widely depending on what state you're in, In FL
BellSouth gets like $58/mo for BRI (2B1D) residential service (when I
first got mine it was unlimited local calls, but I understand that they
now charge per minute for data calls), but here in TN BellSouth (same
company) charges only $35/mo and it's still unlimited local calls.
--
-Mike