[geeks] State of IT

Ethan telmnstr at 757.org
Mon Aug 5 17:58:31 CDT 2002

>   Huh?  FC disks are SUPER cheap, man.  About a month ago, I spent
> $150.00 on five 35.4GB FC drives.  FIVE!
>        -Dave

I meant cheap as in becoming the standard for desktop systems. With 200gb
IDE disks rolling out it hurts... I like SCSI but in many apps I end up
buying double sets of IDE disks. Redundancy and storage space in one.

FC disks are cheap because most people can't use them. Alot of the
coolness is lost if you don't have a hardware raid controller (Like the
LSI unit that SGI OEMs for the TP9400 (StorageTek also sells it as well as
others). BLING. I realize people make the little boards that provide power
and dual DB-9s. :-)

I ment FC as an adopted standard, with the disks selling at CompostUSA and
controller chipsets integrated on the latest AsUs boards.

					-- Ethan