[geeks] Need Input...

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Sun Aug 4 21:14:49 CDT 2002

On Sun, 4 Aug 2002 12:51:27 -0400
Andrew Weiss <ajwdsp at cloud9.net> wrote:

> Question is... does anyone have any warnings or suggestions... because
>
> the originals were 10 Ohm, and hooked to the factory stereo... I
> replaced only the front speakers and the stereo... now sound sounds
> localized towards the rear of the vehicle... the new speakers do work,
>
> however.  My thought would be that the front ones would be overdriven
> and louder due to a lower resistance... shows what I know about
> audio...

The impedance of a speaker really says nothing about the acoustical
characteristics.  Two speakers with very similar impedance/frequency
curves can have significantly different efficiencies, and more
importantly in many cases, the size of the air volume coupled to the
speaker, (or uncoupled in bad cases) can change the apparent volume by
100%

Another possible issue, 10 Ohm speakers are something that is liable to
show up in a factory Bose system or some such, if so, many times those
speakers are a carefully calculated part of the amp circuitry, and using
different speakers will totally change the EQ and such built into the
amp.  Often the Bose systems have separate amp units for each speaker,
somewhere near the speaker.  The solution for those is to bypass the amp
units, go straight stereo->speaker

Tim