[geeks] Need Input...

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Sun Aug 4 11:51:27 CDT 2002

I just did major surgery on the doors of my girlfriend's 96 Saturn SC1
coupe in order to replace her factory speakers with a pair of 6.5" 4 Ohm
120 Watt 2-way treated paper cones that were free with her new CD
player/radio.

Question is... does anyone have any warnings or suggestions... because
the originals were 10 Ohm, and hooked to the factory stereo... I
replaced only the front speakers and the stereo... now sound sounds
localized towards the rear of the vehicle... the new speakers do work,
however.  My thought would be that the front ones would be overdriven
and louder due to a lower resistance... shows what I know about audio...

We may replace the rears later...

Surgery was cutting notches top and bottom of the ring that the speaker
sits in, and then screwing the new speakers to the plastic cup the old
ones sat in with newly made holes from a soldering iron...  I cut the
mounting brackets that came with the kit and used them as backers.  I
then used the speaker wires that came with the kit, hooked them to the
speakers, and then soldered those to the plug bracket that I removed
from the old speakers so they fit with the built-in harness... I didn't
trim the length of the new wires... I wrapped the leftover in a bundle
with a twist tie and laid it in the door... Am I being affected by wire
length, resistance problems, or both...

Will the resistance difference be detrimental?

-Andrew