[geeks] State of IT

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Sun Aug 4 19:06:11 CDT 2002

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 15:49:06 -0400
Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

>   Heh, VAXen were still current when Pentiums, possibly even PPros (I
> don't recall the x86 timeline...anyone?) hit the streets.
>
>   That guy is a moron.  You may feel free to tell him I said so.
>
>         -Dave

Now Dave, the guy may not be a moron, he may just be a freshly produced
MS drone, who hasn't realized yet that everything he knows pertains only
to the least important segment of computer hardware.  However, if he
responded "oh" and expressed no further interest or desire to acquire
more knowledge, then you can tell him I said he was a moron also.

There was a time when I went from a TRS80 Model IV to a 386SX, and was
excited about running the latest MSDOS and Windows, but I don't think I
was a moron, and I grabbed every shred of computer related knowledge I
could, especially if they related to systems I had not heard about/did
not know much about.  There was a time when you Dave, even you, did not
know that Unix/VMS/what the heck ever you run on PDPs was much more
suitable than MS for any task which mattered.  Of course, in your case
that might have been before you could type,but there was a time.  :-)

Tim