[geeks] ug ... Help!

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Aug 1 12:53:20 CDT 2002

On August 1, Michael A. Turner wrote:
> 	Ok gang I need some advice on how to procede here. Yesterday the DBA
> came into my office with a set of disks given to him by the big cheese to
> get the data off of. It is described as very important data. Unfortunatly it
> is located on two 5 1/4 disks. now thinking to myself , how important can
> this data be if it is still stored on 5 1/4 disks (meaning no one has needed
> it in years), I take the disks and go scrounge a working 5 1/4 disk drive.

  One really quick word of advice...if they're really old, check to see
if they're 360K disks.  If they are, AND if you have trouble reading
them in a 1.2MB drive, try them again in a 360K drive.  The 1.2MB
high-density drives use narrower track width; this frequently caused
problems when reading 360K floppies.

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                     "...it's all pants, all the time."
St. Petersburg, FL                                   -Joshua Boyd