[geeks] HP dumps HP-UX on Itanium (from slashdot)

Kris Kirby geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Sep 28 23:11:15 CDT 2001

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> HP gets my "our wintel stuff sucks ass" award.  My Mother-in-Law has
> returned her HP Pavillion no less than *4* times to circuit city due to
> hardware failure.  Maybe there's a reason why those are always offered in
> the MSN rebate specials.
>
> When I was field tech with a contractor doing HP field repair, we made
> several bold attempts to stay in the HP business, but had to discontinue
> field support of HP's Wintel hardware.  It simply wasn't cost effective - we
> lost money on every call....

This has much more to do with the OEM than you think. I used to work in
the plant that made Vectras; we built Pavillions when low on orders.

You name it. Hard drives were dropped and still installed, ESD spec
violated, rough handling, etc. The generally poor design in regards to
cooling made them prone to failure as well. The number one contributing
factor that I can think of is the over all quality of the parts -- most
were rock-bottom cheap, and to this say I wonder how a few Vectras made it
out with (stripped) ASUS motherboards.

I remember building the 550MHz machine when it first came out. Woah.

-----
<kris at nospam.catonic.net>   |