[geeks] AUI Networks

Greg A. Woods geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Sep 26 19:00:23 CDT 2001

[ On Wednesday, September 26, 2001 at 19:38:41 (-0400), Zach Malone wrote: ]
> Subject: [geeks] AUI Networks
>
>     I recently discovered that my AUI based machines were starting to
> outnumber my 100bT boxes, and that therefore, I ought to look into setting
> up a network for them, as the number of 10bT - AUI connectors I am needing
> is getting ridiculous.  Anyhow, I have been unable to figure out exactly
> what sort of network these use, I have not found any hubs/switches that use
> AUI ports, and I have also been unable to dig up the cables I would expect
> to find if they used a ring arrangement.  Can anyone help me out here and
> explain how an AUI network is set up, and what sorts of parts I should look
> for?

Basically "AUI" (attachment unit interface) is just the electrical
interface specification to connect a transceiver to an Ethernet chip.

	http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779/smbiz/service/knowledge/pinouts/aui.htm

There are such things as AUI MAUs (multiple attachment units), but
you're almost infinitely better off sticking with individual
transceivers, especially if you already have an investment in UTP
Ethernet components.

10baseT AUI trancievers are a dime a dozen from surplus dealers now that
most companies are moving from 10baseT to 100baseT.  (well maybe $1-$2
each...  :-)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>